Prepare: 10 mins
Cook: 100 mins
- 60g butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, cut into small cubes
- 3 sticks of celery, cut into small cubes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 cup plain flour, seasoned
- 4 Osso Buccos
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 800g diced Italian tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- Finely grated rind of 2 large lemons
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Heat 20g butter and 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan. Add carrots, celery, onions and garlic. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove to an ovenproof dish.
- Place seasoned flour into a plastic bag. Toss, two Osso Bucco's at a time, in flour. Shake off excess and place on a plate.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Melt remaining butter and oil in a frying pan over high heat. Brown both sides of Osso bucco in 2 to 3 batches. Place on top of vegetables.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, beef stock, thyme and bay leaves to pan. Bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour over vegetables and Osso Bucco. Cover roasting dish with lid or foil. Transfer to oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours to 1 3/4 hours until Osso Bucco is tender.
- Mix finely grated rind of lemons, cloves garlic, parsley, together. Sprinkle over Osso bucco and serve.